In this article you are going to read about top 10 fruits which are rich in antioxidants and their health benefits.
An antioxidant is a molecule that prevents the formation of free radicals which damage cells and cause various health problems. When free radicals accumulate, they can damage cell structure and DNA.
We are regularly exposed to free radicals, whether it’s contaminants in the air, water, and soil, heavy metals, or pesticides or insecticides in certain foods.
If you have a diet rich in antioxidants that can keep your body tissues and organs healthy, so that their functions are not affected. Antioxidants can also help to prevent the following health conditions:
- High blood pressure
- Heart diseases
- Liver diseases
- Kidney diseases
- Even some type of cancers
The antioxidants that are found naturally in foods provide definite health benefits.
Consuming antioxidants can detoxify your body and provide valuable nutrients that help to improve the overall function of the body.
The antioxidants do not cure cancer or stop tumors from growing but they help to prevent the initial formation of cancerous cells that are caused by the damage which free radicals do to the body. So, in this article you will come to know how to Boost Your Health with10 Fruits which are High in Antioxidants.
Boost Your Health -10 Fruits High in Antioxidants
Types Of Antioxidants:
There are various substances that can act as antioxidants. Each has its own role and can interact with others to help the body work effectively.
“Antioxidant” is not really the name of a substance.
Examples of antioxidants that come from outside the body include:
- Vitamin A
- vitamin C
- vitamin E
- Beta -Carotene
Flavonoids, flavones, catechins, polyphenols, and phytoestrogens are all types of antioxidants and phytonutrients which are found in plant products.
Each antioxidant performs different function and cannot be replaced with another. This is why it is important to have a varied diet.
10 Fruits High in Antioxidants:
There are various fruits which are rich in antioxidants, but below are the top 10 fruits that are high in antioxidants.
Blueberries contain the highest number of antioxidants among all commonly eaten fruits. They are low in calories and packed with nutrients and antioxidants.
- The antioxidants in blueberries neutralize harmful free radicals, reducing inflammation.
- Blueberries are rich in anthocyanins, which reduce risk factors for heart disease and also lowers LDL cholesterol levels and blood pressure.
Cranberries are small, hard, round, red fruits which tastes sour and bitter.
They are high in disease-fighting antioxidants. They have all kinds of health-boosting benefits as they have highest level of phenols, a type of antioxidant. They’re also high in anthocyanins. These are the compounds that give cranberries their dark red colour. Protect against liver disease.
- Reduces the risk of UTI.
- Lower blood pressure.
- Improve eyesight.
- Improve cardiovascular health.
Raspberries are rich in fiber and Vitamin C. They also contain other important Vitamins and Minerals. Vitamin C plays vital role to produce collagen, a protein that makes up 75% of your skin.
Test- tube studies show that extracts of red raspberries may block the growth of and destroy cancer cells on colon, prostate, breast and oral.
Because raspberries are high in many nutrients and antioxidants, they may provide other health benefits as well.
- May Improve Arthritis as it has anti-inflammatory properties.
- May help in weight loss as it is low in calories.
- May prevent aging as they are high in antioxidants, which can help reduce signs of aging by fighting free radicals in your body.
Strawberries are bright red, juicy, and sweet.
Strawberries are very rich in antioxidants. They’re also an excellent source of vitamin C, manganese, vitamin.
- improve blood antioxidant status
- decrease oxidative stress
- reduce inflammation
- improve vascular function
- improve your blood lipid profile
- reduce the harmful oxidation of LDL (bad) cholesterol
Goji berries are also excellent source of antioxidants. There are many bioactive compounds high in antioxidant potential in goji berries.
Goji berries are also an excellent source of macronutrients.
- They have the potential to alleviate oxidative stress and prevent free radicals from damaging DNA.
- Goji berries can help to maintain vision as they have high levels of healthy antioxidants, especially zeaxanthin.
- Boost immune system- Goji berries contain large amounts of Vitamin- A and C for building immunity and preventing illnesses.
- Protects against cancer because of high levels of antioxidants, including vitamin C, zeaxanthin, and carotenoids, which are responsible for fighting against cancer cells.
- Promotes healthy skin- as they contain beta -carotene, which is important plant phytochemical known for its ability to promote healthy skin.
- Maintains Sugar level- balance insulin and glucose levels in the blood.
- Improves depression, anxiety, and sleep
- Goji berries have been used to treat liver disease in traditional Chinese medicine.
Grapes are full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They’re also good source of water, which can help keep you hydrated. Red grapes contain higher numbers of antioxidants due to the anthocyanins which give them their color. Grapes also contain vitamin C, beta-carotene, quercetin, lutein, lycopene and ellagic acid. All of these are excellent antioxidants.
- Prevents Cancer- as grapes are full of antioxidants, grapes may help fight off free radicals.
- Lowers blood pressure- as grapes are low in sodium and high in Potassium.
- Protects against heart disease- Resveratrol may not only help prevent cancer but also help in protecting against heart disease as they are low in sodium and high in Potassium.
- Maintain strong bones- as they are rich in vitamin K and minerals like calcium, magnesium and potassium.
Figs are part of the mulberry family. They are the fruit of the Ficus tree. They have sweet taste. They are soft and slightly crunchy with edible seeds. Rich in antioxidants and fiber, figs contain small amounts of calcium, iron, potassium, copper, and certain B vitamins. Figs are excellent source of phenol antioxidants.
- Promotes digestive health-as they are rich in fibre.
- May improve vascular and heart health- as they are rich in phenol as well as healthy Omega-3 and 6 fatty acids
- May help manage blood sugar levels- because potassium in it helps to prevent blood sugar levels from rising and falling suddenly.
- For Healthy Bones-as they are rich in calcium.
- Fig Leaves for Respiratory Health- as they contain mucilage which can help to treat a sore throat.
Cherries are also rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants. These are natural chemicals that can help your body deal with free radicals. Cherries are highly nutritious and loaded with vitamins, minerals and potassium. Cherries are especially high in polyphenols, a large group of plant chemicals that help fight cellular damage.
- May benefit heart health- as they are rich in potassium and polyphenol antioxidants.
- May improve symptoms of arthritis and gout- as they contain anti-inflammatory compounds and can decrease uric acid levels in your body.
- Improves sleep quality- cherries contain melatonin, a substance that helps regulate your sleep-wake cycle.
Apricots are a great source of many antioxidants, including beta-carotene and vitamins A, C, and E. They are very nutritious and high in flavonoids, which have been shown to protect against many illnesses.
- May promote eye health-as they contain beta carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin, and vitamins C and E.
- May boost skin health- Vitamins C and E, both found in this fruit, may aid your skin health.
- May promote gut health- as they contain both soluble and insoluble fiber.
- May help to prevent high blood pressure and reduce your risk of stroke-as they are rich in potassium.
Oranges are an excellent source of phenolic compounds—especially flavonoids. Oranges are a treasure of nutrients and protective plant compounds, like vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants which include flavonoids, carotenoids, and vitamin C.
- Helps promote heart health-as they are rich in vitamin C, flavonoids, and carotenoids.
- protect against chronic diseases-as they are very rich in Vitamin C.
- Anaemia prevention-as they are excellent source of Vitamin C.
- support immune health- high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidant compounds, can help promote healthy immune function.
1.“It Is Health That Is Real Wealth And Not Pieces Of Gold And Silver.” – Mahatma Gandhi.
2. “If You Keep Good Food In Your Fridge, You Will Eat Good Food.” – Errick Mcadams.
3.“The Doctor Of The Future Will No Longer Treat The Human Frame With Drugs, But Rather Will Cure And Prevent Disease With Nutrition.” – Thomas Edison
4. “Sorry, There’s No Magic Bullet. You Gotta Eat Healthy And Live Healthy To Be Healthy And Look Healthy. End Of Story.” – Morgan Spurlock.
5.“Let Food Be Thy Medicine, Thy Medicine Shall Be Thy Food.” – Hippocrates,
Fruit and vegetables are a good source of vitamins and minerals, including folate, vitamin C and potassium and antioxidants. Many experts suggest they protect us from premature aging, heart disease, cancer, and possibly depression and anxiety.
1.What food has the highest antioxidants?
2.Which fruit is the king of antioxidants?
3.What veg is high in antioxidants?
4.How can I increase antioxidants naturally?
5.Which oil has more antioxidants?
Figs and dried plums being the best.
10.What are the benefits of high antioxidants?